So I stopped by one of my favorite Athiest sites to have a conversation the other day. There was some playful back and forth like normal.
One open minded scientificly minded blogger decided to come at me with some links and normal scientific talk about there being no proof therefore the Resurrection can’t be real.
When I didn’t respond right away as he is interacting with other bloggers he finished out with this:
“This is part of the problem. It’s fine believing in something. Especially if you are truly a good person, but don’t lie about things or believe lies to make your beliefs ‘real.’
There is no evidence. People having visions, religious experiences does not count. But if you believe that then you also have to believe the people belonging to different religions who have had experiences with their dieties.”
Where to start,
- The problem he is referring to is with me believing in a diety. In his mind this mythical figure seems to reek havoc on his world, much like unicorns, leprechauns and the swamp thing. It is perfectly natural to hate something that doesn’t exist unless deep down you know better. Unless you have truly searched your heart and pondered the idea of us coming from nothing is beyond miraculous. It is so miraculous it is easier to believe someone made it, and maybe even someone came back from the dead.
- The lies he is referring to is actually well documented facts about the thinking of the 1st century world. I guess it is hard even for the scientific community to comprehend of a world with no internet, TV, radio, newspapers, etc. Also this world was preserved through story. This story is passed down from generation to generation. Because many can’t read or write the oral tradition is essential for passing on the faith and the traditions of the people. If someone told the story wrong there was a moral responsibility to correct them. It is hard to imagine during this age of slanted entertainment type news outlets. It is simply a world we do not know. Before you call something a lie look into well documented facts. I bring this up not to be mean to this person but to help Christians to understand bully arguments. This person doesn’t know the topic but thinks he can call a point of view names.
- No evidence- This is the part I love. Scientific minded athiest often feel that no scientific proof available for Jesus Christ raising from the dead lets them off the hook. There is no need to believe in this guy. We have no DNA samples. We didn’t see him physically. We were not there. No one took a picture. There is no video. Once again consider the oral traditon. When we consider the oral traditon the fact that the gospels were written several decades later doesn’t matter. There were hundreds of people in this small region claiming to have seen a risen Christ. The Gospels also share intimate details like talking about people who had seen him who were still around. This is true for the events of Christ’s life as well. Remember reading about Simon of Cyrene’s son Rufus. That was an invitation to go and ask him. But let’s get back to proof. God is not a lab rat. He is God. If He were subject to testing He wouldnt be God. So the first reply is going to be well the argument is circular then. I am going to suggest that God gives us free will, we have the opportunity to find Him and if we truly seek we will truly find Him. That is my story anyway.
- People having visions and religious experiences do not count. It is fascinating how people who are used to working with lab rats think they set the rules. A true test would be to investigate claims and testimonies as a part of the study.
- Now dealing with other religions and there experiences. Yes there are people who have experienced other dieties. They have made big claims. For most the reason Christianity is set apart is a personal God. A God who became man who was a real person who lived. He died. Everyone wanted to see the body. No one could find it. He didn’t write anything Himself. He was wrote about and foreshadowed through out a span of thousands of years and proved Himself to be true when He came to live as one of us. The funny thing about proof is very few enemies of the cross these days consider the great lengths people have gone to disprove this but can’t. Christianity even claims the spiritual casualty of many great athiests. C.s. Lewis being one of those. other religions by and large do not have a personal diety. By contrast Muslims are coming to faith in Jesus everyday. There idea of God is not personal but regularly they are meeting Jesus in miraculous ways. Personally I have met Jesus through miraculous circumstances. When you have had that experince you can’t forget that. You can’t seem to get that back in a test tube.
- Blessings to all who read this.
Photo by News.discovery.com